I was thinking about this the other day, and it made me realize just how blessed some of our favorite NFL teams are. Many of you know I grew up in Wisconsin, so by law I’m a Packer fan. It’s pretty safe to say outside of the past couple years, we’ve had a pretty good run of success. If you don’t count the 70’s and 80’s. Same can be said for the Vikings. They’ve had their fair share of heartbreaking losses, but unlike the Packers, have never had a complete decade or two of misery. Then I read this this morning in the USA Today, just had to share just how bad other fans around the country have had to suffer. Here are the 10 most embarrassing franchises in the NFL:
#1 won’t come as a surprise to anyone.
It’s the Cleveland Browns. Yes, this year was SUPPOSED to be different with Baker Mayfield, Odell Beckham Jr., Nick Chubb, and eventually Kareem Hunt. But so far, they’re 1-2, and Mayfield is looking overrated. But even if they DO turn it around, the Browns have only made ONE playoff appearance in 24 YEARS . . . and that was a loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2003. There was also that stretch in 2015 and 2016, when they only won ONE game over TWO seasons.
Here’s the rest of the Top 10:
- The Detroit Lions. The Lions haven’t won a playoff game since 1992. They’ve been to the playoffs just three times since 2000. And in 2008, they became the first team in NFL history to go 0-16.
3. The Cincinnati Bengals. The Bengals last won a playoff game in 1991. They’ve been to the playoffs seven times since 2005, but lost all those games.
4. The Buffalo Bills. They went to the playoffs in 2017 but that was just the first time they’d been in the postseason since 1999. They haven’t won a playoff game since 1995.
5. The league’s CURRENT worst team: The Miami Dolphins. They haven’t won a playoff game since 2000. They’ve only been to the playoffs three times since then, and it doesn’t look like they’ll be back any time soon. Oh how I miss Dan Marino.
6. The Washington Redskins. The Redskins have just one playoff win this century, way back in the 2005 season. They just got smoked by the Bears last Monday night.
7. The Oakland Raiders. If you watched any of Hard Knocks on HBO this summer you know what a clown show these guys are. They haven’t won a playoff game since the AFC title game in the 2002 season, and they’ve only been back to the playoffs once since then . . . in 2016, when they lost to the Houston Texans in the wild-card round.
8. The New York Jets. They were able to beat the New England Patriots in the playoffs back in 2010. But that is also their last playoff win.
9. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Bucs won the Super Bowl back in 2002, but that’s their last playoff win. Their last playoff game was back in 2007 when they lost to the New York Giants at home in the wild-card round.
10. The Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jags tend to have a LOT of empty seats in their stadium on game days, despite going to the AFC title game in 2017.
So in closing the next time Packer or Viking fans get mad at our team, which happens a lot, know it could be worse.