This Saturday is Stamp Out Hunger day! It’s your local postal workers joining forces to collect nonperishable groceries for the local food shelf! This is a nationwide event so no matter where you’re listening, you can make it part of your weekend.
A lot of us will be up early for fishing opener in Minnesota, so before you slip out to the lake simply bag up some non-perishables and leave them by your mailbox. The mail carriers handle the rest.
Here’s some stats on hunger shared at Stampouthungerfooddrive.us.
- Over 43 million or 1 in 7 Americans is food insecure Food insecurity means living at risk of hunger and not knowing where the next meal is coming from.
- Over 13 million or 1 in 6 children is living in a food insecure household Hungry children cannot thrive- their physical, intellectual and emotional developments are limited.
- Over 5 million seniors (age 60+) choose between paying rent, utilities and having enough nutritious food 1 in 7 Americans live at or below the poverty level
- The poverty level is $24,447 for a family of four in 2016.
- 1 in 5 households served by Feeding America has a member who has served in the US military
- 1 in 10 adults served by Feeding America is currently a student
- 1 in 3 households served by Feeding America has a member with diabetes