With the sudden and surprising announcement of Olive Garden closing in Baxter, that leaves an empty building at the end of the month. So what could possibly go into that building in the future? Your guess is as good as mine, but I thought it would be fun to put a wish list together. Let me just start off by saying I have no inside information or heard any rumors. This isn’t a ranking either, just stream of conscience thinking. So here we go:
- Any GOOD seafood restaurant. We do have establishments in the area that have good seafood on the menu, but I’m talking about one that specializes in just seafood. As we all know Red Lobster has been rumored to be coming since the beginning of time, but in my mind if it hasn’t happened by now, it’s not going to happen.
- Texas Roadhouse. We got one in St. Cloud, Duluth, and Twin Cities. Why not here? Honestly, some of the best steaks I’ve had, better than some high end places.
- Ruby Tuesday. Now some would say we already have Applebees, but if you compare the menus there’s not a lot similarities. They also seem to have a more expansive menu.
- Bonanza. Say Whaaat? We already had one here right? In talking to friends, people at work, and on social media, people miss Bonanza. Maybe another go around in a new location just might work.
- IHOP. Don’t get me wrong we have some great breakfast places in town, but where else can you get that huge stack of waffles or pancakes and that GIANT jug of coffee that fuels our souls.
Who knows if any of these come to town, but it will be interesting to see what happens when Olive Garden closes it’s doors at the end of the month. That building is in a pretty prime location, so I don’t think it will stay empty for long.